This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

[Parent link] Animate layer parenting

Duduf

[Parent link] Animate layer parenting

Post by Duduf » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:25 am

I'm very excited to have finally managed to find a way to animate layer parenting in After Effects!

I've been thinking about this a lot these last months, as I wanted not only to be able to change the parent of a layer, but I also wanted to be able to do it with a precentage... I did it!
two.gif
This means you can parent a layer to several other layers at the same time, you can animate the parenting, and animate it smoothly - not with a checkbox!
parent_link.png
  • Rigging > Links and Constraints > Parent Link
  • Click on the button with a layer selected
  • Adjust the parenting in the effects of the layer
  • To have multiple parents, duplicate the effect.
Cheers!

benobeone

Re: [Parent link] Animate layer parenting

Post by benobeone » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Works Like a charm. Kudos

ILJI

Post by ILJI » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi Duduf, great stuff as always!

One thing - animating backwards / parenting at the end of the animation:
When doing a "pass-this-object-animation": When I want to set up the scene at the end of the rotation of the parent, having the child sit on the floor, add the effect, define the parent: The child will rotate from the set up floor position into the ground instead of from the top left corner to the floor position.
Do you think, it would be possible, that the script recognises this to calculate the offsets from the initial state of the child, storing the values at the current time of the parent when applying the effect? Attached a gif, which shows this behaviour - played backwards as I would like to add the effect / the parenting at the end of the animation: When applying the FFX the child will add the offset instead of calculating/subtracting it from the initial position - in the gif it will jump to the offset.

Thanks!
…no rush - enjoy your holidays!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmyun61mtlhg3 ... n.gif?dl=0

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:28 am

ILJI wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:21 pmDo you think, it would be possible, that the script recognises this to calculate the offsets from the initial state of the child
The problem is that a script can not be automatically executed when adjusting an effect in AE (here, changing the parent layer in the effect), so that would mean having a button in Duik to change the parent instead of doing it directly in the effect, which, I think, is not intuitive at all...

ILJI

Post by ILJI » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Okay, understood. Thanks for the reply - cheers! :)