This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Suggestions!

Delfos

Suggestions!

Post by Delfos » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi everybody! I´ve missed the DUIK community very much during this transition year, but it's nice to come back under a new "umbrella".
Being a heavy user of the DUIK suite I have several suggestions and ideas, I hope they are of some help.

*Spring: I have to say I found the new slider controllers not so intuitive as the old Frequency/Amplitude, but regardless that, I always turn the Elasticity down to 5, because I feel it gives a more bouncy, natural spring. It would be nice be able to change the default values (and perhaps even export them!)

Also, it could be useful for some automated rigging that the spring can be related to other layers properties, different then the layer itself or its parent.
For example, I use this expression (pre-DUIK 15) for an auto-overlap in some characters curls and skirts.

Code: Select all

amp =thisComp.layer(1).effect("AMPLITUDE")("Slider");
freq =thisComp.layer(1).effect("FREQ")("Slider");
decay =thisComp.layer(1).effect("DECAY")("Slider");
n = 0;
compFather=thisComp.layer(1).name;// Dynamic Parent Comp (so I could change the name of the layer and therefore the referenced comp. Perhaps is obsolete now with some new DUIK implementations);
p=comp(compFather).layer("CENTER").effect("ROTATION")("Slider");

if (p.numKeys > 0){
    n =p.nearestKey(time).index;
   if (p.key(n).time > time){
   n--;
}}

if (n> 1){
t = time - p.key(n).time;
div=(p.key(n).time-p.key(n-1).time)/3.2; // Makes an average out of two measures so it springs even if the keys are Eased
durA=p.key(n-1).time+div;
durB=p.key(n).time-div;
v = (p.velocityAtTime(durA)+p.velocityAtTime(durB))/2;
x=value[0] + v*amp*Math.sin(freq*t*2*Math.PI)/Math.exp(decay*t);
}else{
x=value[0];
}
[x,value[1]];

I don't know how the implementation of this could be, it's just an idea.

* Swing
When applied to a position, it swings horizontally by default. I've added a Checkbox and changed the end of the expression so it looks like this:

if(effect("Checkbox Control")("Checkbox")==0){swing=[sin*amp,0];}else{swing=[0,sin*amp];};
swing+value;

*List
I usually need the list when I want to stack automations. Perhaps it would be better placed in the top of the automations panel, in a similar fashion as the Auto-Ik (perhaps with single height instead of double)

*DUGR

There are certain type of layers that are merely technical and I want them banned from my view, forever. Perhaps it would be nice to count with a category or a type of group that remains "as is" when it´s marked, no matter how many filters or dynamic groups you activate or deactivate. Some sort of "IGNORE THIS" tag, and can only be showed by specifically referring to its group.

I think that's it , for now!

Duduf

Re: Suggestions!

Post by Duduf » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi Delfos!

Glad to see you back :)

Once again, many thanks for all those smart suggestions!
I have to update the credits of Duik, I'll include you.
Delfos wrote:*Spring: I have to say I found the new slider controllers not so intuitive as the old Frequency/Amplitude, but regardless that, I always turn the Elasticity down to 5, because I feel it gives a more bouncy, natural spring. It would be nice be able to change the default values (and perhaps even export them!)
You're not the only one to dislike the default values of the Spring ;) I do too, but what I like with those values is that I am able to instantly recognize the resulting motion when I see it in any video ^^
Joke aside, I've already planned to add a way to let the user change the default values, this will be in a future update (as soon as I've found the best way to add the option in Duik. Maybe in the settings panel...)
Delfos wrote:it could be useful for some automated rigging that the spring can be related to other layers properties, different then the layer itself or its parent.
Seems a good idea, though I don't know yet how this could be implemented.
I've already planned to implement the "simulated" spring in any spatial property (not only position).
Maybe we could add dropdown list of layers in the effects panel of the spring to let the user choose another layer as a reference, and the spring would use the same property of this other layer.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:14 pm

Delfos wrote:* Swing
When applied to a position, it swings horizontally by default. I've added a Checkbox and changed the end of the expression so it looks like this:

if(effect("Checkbox Control")("Checkbox")==0){swing=[sin*amp,0];}else{swing=[0,sin*amp];};
swing+value;
Will be done. Thanks! (I think I just never used it in a position!)
Delfos wrote:*List
I usually need the list when I want to stack automations. Perhaps it would be better placed in the top of the automations panel, in a similar fashion as the Auto-Ik (perhaps with single height instead of double)
The best would be to duplicate the button and have it on both panels; anyway, we're going to rethink the UI for Duik16 in a few months, this suggestion will be included ;)

Delfos wrote:*DUGR

There are certain type of layers that are merely technical and I want them banned from my view, forever. Perhaps it would be nice to count with a category or a type of group that remains "as is" when it´s marked, no matter how many filters or dynamic groups you activate or deactivate. Some sort of "IGNORE THIS" tag, and can only be showed by specifically referring to its group.
Great Idea!

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:18 pm

FYI There already are some updates of Duik planned:

15.5, which will include some import/export tools (XML, TVPaint...)

16, with A LOT of new features ;)

I think we'll add all your suggestions in this 16 update (which will be crowdfunded in a few months). In the meantime there will be smaller updates for bugfixes, each time a bug is found we try to fix it ASAP

Delfos

Post by Delfos » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:44 pm

Duduf wrote:Will be done. Thanks! (I think I just never used it in a position!)
I usually do a lot of "Not really animated but it has to move anyway" kind of things, so I wiggle them and sometimes I also make them float up and down just so the stuff is doing something. Not exactly proud of that but, hey, is part of an animators life as well ! Haha

I'm glad to see you again too, Duduf!

I have to say something about the web. Maybe it's too new and google hasn't catch up, but I never seem to be able to find it on my first search, so I always end up going to your old site and clicking on the link.

As always, I'm looking forward for the updates on the best AE script eveeer

Delfos

Post by Delfos » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:13 pm

HI Duduf!

I just thought of another suggestion.
What if the Morpher was index based instead of time based?

In the case of several properties, a new affect called Indexer could be created (as it's the case right now with the morpher), only that the keys that generates would only be the valueAtTime reference, with another effect to manipulate the actual animation.

I'm suggesting it because that's what I used to do with some preseted animations or adaptations for head turns and such, and I find it more intuitive than having to remember a frame number that might not carry any "meaning" in the end.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:33 pm

Hi,

Thanks, once again, for this smart suggestion!
But actually, we're going to remove the morpher tool in Duik 16, to replace it by a new "connector" tool, much more powerful (and easier to use), which will get rid of those keyframes using frame numbers. Instead, you will be able to choose the minimum and maximum value of the "master" value (currently, the morpher slider). And this master can be any property, not only a slider as with the morpher.
(This means, you can control any animation with any other property using this new "connector" tool, very easily, both for rigging or easier animation)

Delfos

Post by Delfos » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:14 pm

That sounds nice! When are you kickstarting the new DUIK?

I just thought of another thing. Sometimes (more often than I would like to admit) I screw up a part of the rig and I realize about it after I have done other stuff and I can't undo, or don't want to. It usually has to do with misplacing the anchor point (I think in past versions it was possible to relocate, am I right?). It could be useful to have a "Wipe rig" option, that deletes all expressions, effects and controls of a selected control.I know, it's not like super necessary, but it just happened and the thought came up. That and a bit of swearing (I get REALLY INTENSE with rigs).

Hey, and let me know if the suggestions are annoying or if you prefer them over the github.