This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Objects move when creating IK

Mike

Objects move when creating IK

Post by Mike » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:35 am

Mac
AE 2018
Using the current Duik version
I am working on creating a short Gif animation for my website, I thought using Duik would make the process easier. However everytime I create a IK it displaces the layers funny and I have been unable to solve this problem. I haven't been able to use auto rig because of an error stating two layers were being used twice (though I did not select the same layer twice) So I decided to use an IK instead because of my characters anatomy.

I tried using the AI files with vector properties disabled and enabled and converting them to shape layers.
I even selected the controller last and to no avail.

I'd certainly thought I would have completed the animation by now, I have been unable to fix this issue at all.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance
Last edited by Mike on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Duduf

Re: Objects move when creating IK

Post by Duduf » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 am

Hi,

I can't open your links, need a google account (which I don't have ;) )

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:56 am

Let me know if this works or not

better quality image of displacement
Last edited by Mike on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:52 pm

I tried it on a different character with the same results,
so either I'm missing something really simple or something in the new version may be bugged idk.

I tried downloading an older version of after effects, and he current version of duik but the same effect.

I'll update if I figure anything out.
Last edited by Mike on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:12 pm

If you can send me the AEP, I'd have a better look, but seeing these images, here are my thoughts:

• Scale values: does the arm you're trying to rig have a scale value different than 100%,100% ? Especially, have it been mirrored with a scale like -100%,100%

• Anchor points and parenting: double check the placement of the anchor points, and make sure the hand is parented to the forearm which in turn is parented to the arm

If all of this is ok, you can try to precompose each layer - making sure you check the second option "transfer attributes..." - then place the anchor points and rig the precomps instead of the layers. This usually fixes this kind of issue.

Hope this helps, do not hesitate to assemble the project files and send me the whole project so I can test and see what's wrong. I'm pretty sure we're missing something simple somewhere ;)

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:22 pm

I have changed the layers size so I will try changing it back

let me know if this works, everything should be in here. I will try the things you mentioned thank you.

update: have tried precomposing the layers and had the same result

All layers are at 100% 100% size

I PMd you the project and files

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:41 pm

I checked your project, and the problem is indeed with the scale:

The layer #15, the body, which is the parent of everything else, has a scale value of [ 323% , 282% ]
If a parent has a scale value which is not 100% on both axis, and especially when the value is not the same on the two axis, you may have all kinds of issues when rigging.

You should scale the layers in Illustrator and not in AE to make the character the size you need.

NB: I've noticed that this particular issue is fixed in Duik16 (though I don't know how I fixed it :D ), but even if the IK work with scaled layers, this should always be something you'd prefer to avoid (on animated characters at least).