This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Duplicating Rig Question

motionkontor

Duplicating Rig Question

Post by motionkontor » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi,

I have searched far and wide, but haven't found a solution on this.
Please keep in mind I am fairly new to Duik still, but I love it so much!

If there are already solutions to this, please link for me so that I can find it. All help is very much appriciated!
So, my problem is this:

If I rig a part of a character, for example the leg, all works fine as it should. But when I duplicate the layers (base layer, bones, controller), the controller of the duplicate won't work. I thought it would be as easy as changing the layer names to the new ones in the expressions, since the expressions still link to the original layers, but all I get are errors.

I would like to keep the controllers in the main comp, so that I don't have to switch between comps. That is why I don't work with a subcomp for the rigged parts.( I use the shyguy to keep things in order)

For now, I will resort to rig every single part individually, but I would love to have a solution for duplicating for future projects.

Thanks for the support, and thanks to MICKAËL and NICOLAS for this awesome tool!
:)

Best,
Flo

Duduf

Re: Duplicating Rig Question

Post by Duduf » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi,

There are no way (yet, and I don't know if it's even possible, or at least if it's worth it to search for this) to duplicate already rigged layers. Simply because the way the current IKs work, they need to "know" the original coordinates/state of the layers to work correctly.

This may change in future versions of Duik, but it's so quick to just create IKs that I think duplicating the layers first, then creating two IKs is the best way to go.

motionkontor

Post by motionkontor » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:21 am

Heya,

thanks for the reply!

It would be really helpful, time-wise, if that is possible in the future. But I can stick to this ^^

And I guess creating a rig and just switch out the (pre-comped) layers is the way to go to get a template of sorts.

Thanks again and keep up your amazing work!

Merci,
Flo

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:39 pm

For templates, there will be a new "bone structure" in Duik 16 which will make the rigs more versatile and will be an easy way to share templates ;)