This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Duik Bassel - Flip a Structure/Rig

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
Holstian

Duik Bassel - Flip a Structure/Rig

Post by Holstian » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Hello! I've searched high and low for an answer, and feel like there is something simple I'm missing.

I have a character rigged up, and I'm trying to make the it simply turn around from facing right to left. The rig was simple enough where most things can be moved and it looks fine, but for the rig part that contains the foot structures, I can't find a way to make them go from pointing to the right, flip them around to point to the left without rotating the structure controller 180 degrees.

I found I could use the Extract Controller method, but then other asymmetrical designs flip too and I've already committed to this rig's keyframes in this comp. Is there just a way to flip only one structure/controller without having to flip the entire rig?

Sorry if the question isn't clear.

Thanks!

Duduf

Re: Duik Bassel - Flip a Structure/Rig

Post by Duduf » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi,

Flipping rigged structures can be very difficult as there are a lot of expressions using the coordinates of each structures, which change when using the scale property.

To work around this, what I usually do is duplicate the leg I need to flip, flip the deisigns, and rig it again with a new structure, like a third leg for the characters. Then, you can parent the controller of this new flipped leg to the controller of the original one, and use the opacities to choose which one has to be used, without actually flipping anything.

I hope this is clear and helps.

I'm thinking about some way to easily flip any structure, maybe a future version of Duik will include a "flip" button in the effects of structures, or even better a "scale" value, but I still have a lot of work to make sure this works correctly...

locodreams

Post by locodreams » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:08 pm

hi
i have problems even just copy shape layers and flip after auto rig in duik pointer dont catch hand of arm just bottom of arm and make triangle...i don't know why
Screenshot_2.jpg

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:36 am

Can you show the Structures in your screenshot so we can see what's wrong?

locodreams

Post by locodreams » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:09 am

everything is same and i do all same things on left side...left side work fine but right side is copy from left before i rig...and dont look same like on left side
Screenshot_2.jpg
must say i try everything copy layers and flip vertical before rig and copy layers and parent to nullobject and scale -100 rotate in 3d for 180 degrees but get same effects..probably the best way is import from illustrator and manipulate...but if u know way with one arm (flip rotate scale whatever)will be helpful...

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:15 am

With Duik Bassel, it is better to use structures to rig the character, it should fix your issues.

See the tutorials: https://rainbox-dev.github.io/DuAEF_Dui ... tutorials/
especially the jumpstart by jake in motion

locodreams

Post by locodreams » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:34 am

thanks for reply...i watch some parts of video dude i don't have money for all course but the best part are lock down for poor people :) i live in serbia and now i am without job...

EOB4

Post by EOB4 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Hey,
I just had te same thought concerning flipping a rig...
Now I haven't fully tried this and I'm sure you have to put some thought into it when settign everything up. But when you work with Shape layers (Or Ai files that you have converted into shape layers), you could use the scale of the shape/group instead of the layer transform scale.
As far as I know the DUIK expressions are not connected to that.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:26 am

True dat!

Groups in shape layers work like a precomposition for that matter, as Duik works only with the layer transform and not the content

Ginger O'Toole

Post by Ginger O'Toole » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi! This is very interesting ... I am only currently learning Duik 😀

Anyway! I just successfully flipped a character structure i have rigged the old way... (seperate parented limbs with puppet pins using an expression for each pin to be controlled by parented nulls)

Basically i made a small guide circle on the very right hand side of my character as the flipping point or axis. I then went through each layer ... head, body, arms, legs,and all of the nulls and using the pan behind tool I positioned every anchor point on to my small guide circle so everything will flip over the exact same axis... but before flipping I temporarily turned off the expressions linking the puppet pins to the null anchor points (otherwise all of the artwork gets dragged to the anchors that are temporarily moved to the centre point ... confusing!)

Now, because everything was parented to a master null i simply flip the master null X axis -100 and then reposition all the anchor points onto the RIGHT top corner of the nulls now because they were flipped remember! Re-enable the puppet pin expressions and there you go! A flipped character rig!

Didnt seem to take too long either!
Cheers! Can't wait to learn Duik properly!