This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

How to stop hand rotating independently from arm?

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
JCL0031

How to stop hand rotating independently from arm?

Post by JCL0031 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:18 pm

Hello, I took over a file from someone who manually animated a character running. How can I get the hands to stop rotating on their own, and to follow the arm? Currently they are run by rotation keyframes, and it's brutal (the animation looks good but why rotation keys to keep the hands straight?). The hands in this pic should be straight with the arm. I've turned off parent rotation but it doesn't change anything. I can't find any documentation for this online. And pretty please explain the response to me like I'm a smart 6 year old. I'm not a programmer :) Thank you in advance.

Duduf

Re: How to stop hand rotating independently from arm?

Post by Duduf » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:07 am

It means it was animated using IK instead of FK. A run cycle should have been animated in FK exactly to avoid this kind of things, it's much easier.

Deactivate the IK and animate the FK controls. There is documentation, the official one is pretty comprehensive: duik-docs.rainboxlab.org