This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Mocap->Duik?

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
hrundi

Mocap->Duik?

Post by hrundi » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:28 pm

Hi. 🙂 Is it possible to drive a DUIK-puppet using a bvh motion capture file? Iam experimenting with a kinect here, which delivers bvh-data (via an application called fastmocap on mac). I could then import this into AE via the import Bvh plugin. Or, from an older application called KinectToPin, I could use captured xml-Data and get it to AE via an assoziated plugin as well.
But I read about difficulties to get this working on a DUIK-Character, so...
...is it worth it?
Thx in advance 🙂
Hrundi

hrundi

Re: Mocap->Duik?

Post by hrundi » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:12 pm

:-)
Ok, different approach:

This picture shows my Mocap-Skeleton after importing to After Effects.

The red rectangles are Control-Nulls, driven by the mocap-Data.
Question now: Is it possible to connect these Null-Objects (similar to Duik-Bones generated from puppet pins) to a DUIK-character?
If so: How? In which state of the rigging process? What to what?
In final, my goal is to have a puppet both driven by captured data (like those in this scene) and via DUIK-Controls as well (or switchable) in order to do some stuff still manually in a known way.

Anybody? :-)
thx in advance
hrundi

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:41 am

You can use expressions to connect the properties from a Duik rig to the layers with the mocap data.
But if the character moves in perspective, you'll probably have some maths/conversions/adjustments to do to adjust the motion to a 2D space like Duik rigs

hrundi

Post by hrundi » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:04 pm

Hi and thx for reply, :-)
You can use expressions to connect the properties from a Duik rig to the layers with the mocap data.«
:-) Iam glad to hear that. :-) But which properties from which parts of the rig (structures? Controllernulls?) do I have to connect via which expressions? Simple pickwhipping?
But if the character moves in perspective, you'll probably have some maths/conversions/adjustments to do to adjust the motion to a 2D space like Duik rigs
Yeah, Ive got a solution for this. Only thing I don't know is how to connect what to what in which state of the process.

Love to hear from you with further details to this, thx in advance! :-)

hrundi

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:32 pm

I don't know, it depends on your rig, the motion data, etc. There are a lot of possibilities, connecting structures, or the controllers, etc... with either simple expression links or more complex ones involving conditipns, math, ... you have to try and see.